Cervelo Caledonia Ultegra Bicycle 2021
Cervelo has come to believe that the pure road cycling world is evolving, and while there will always be a true race bike that is super light, fast, and quick-handling, the modern road bike requires capability for larger tires, more stability- but moderately fast handling, and power transfer efficiency expected of a race bike. This modern road bike shrugs at notorious urban roads, cobbles, chip seal, and floats over the smoothest pavement. Add in the super reliable Ultegra R8020 mechanical shift and hydraulic disc groupset and strong build kit, and the complete package is spot on, but it starts with the frameset.
Enter the Caledonia, an exemplar of Cervelo's understanding that fast handling isn’t always better, and the how the company is evolving toward bike designs with handling and overall development informed by specific needs. The inspiration was the multi-surface Paris-Roubaix, the Spring Classic that is harder on bikes than any other race on the calendar, with zero margin for error. After drawing from some specific history with the team-only, Roubaix-winning R3 Mud, and the R3 the teams used in 2019, the engineers increased the rear center, lowered the BB, and increased the trail while adding tire volume space and better rough surface deflection. Relatively speaking the handling is still fast enough to be corner and descent-friendly but with added rougher surface stability.
The creation of the Caledonia began with this recognition of modern road cycling and a sense of where it is going. This is a pure endurance race bike, unlike the previous C-Series endurance options, which were great bikes with more relaxed geometry, and greater comfort. Caledonia is race-bred, with much more surface versatility than a Grand Tour ready design. With capacity for 34mm tires (31mm with fenders), the more stable handling, disc-only frameset has different overall geometry numbers but Stack and Reach the same as an R-Series. The frame design and cockpit set-up allow for most cyclists a reasonable fit, and unlike with the R5/R3 geometry differences, both Caledonia frame-level options share the same geometry. Much was learned from the years R-Series development and combined with the knowledge gained from the Aspero design process, the engineers found a great balance of speed, comfort, clearance and handling while maintaining the aesthetic cleanliness Cervelo's riders demand. That cleanliness is far from just aesthetic- you know it’s going to be fast because there’s nothing interrupting the flow of air over the front end.
There are differences between the Caledonia and it's 5-level sibling. the Some cyclists considering a Caledonia model might strongly appreciate that this frame has a standard round tapered steerer tube and wire/housing routing instead of the 5-level's fully integrated, proprietary system. Any normal bar, stem, or round 27.2mm seatpost can be used. You aren't sacrificing tire clearance, fender/accessory mounts, or ride quality. There are some carbon and construction changes as a result, and the standard Caledonia frame is 95 grams heavier, but the cost, simplicity and features are your choice to make. The evolved geometry and handling numbers for a more stable, sure-handling ride over long hours of multi-surface riding are here. The proper carbon lay-up for deflection, control, and compliance is just as well balanced. Cervelo measures the stiffness ratings of both framesets as the same at 222 Nm/mm BB / 105 Nm/deg.
The Caledonia has internal routing through the downtube and access plates for wires, cables, housing and hydraulic hose, and can be built as a 1x or 2x mechanical or electronic drivetrain. The front derailleur tab can be removed for a clean look with a 1x set-up. The full carbon tapered Caledonia specific fork features internal hydraulic hose routing, Flat Mount set-up for disc calipers, and a 12/100mm thru-axle interface. Integrated fender mounts make for a clean install and you can run up to a 700x31mm tire with fenders - front and rear. The frameset comes with an IS-2 headset, and uses a 27.2mm round seatpost. The rear dropout is for a 12/142mm thru-axle. Cervelo supplies their lever action, Indexed Thru-Axles front and rear.
Shimano's Ultegra R8020/R8000 2x groupset features cable actuated shifting and hydraulic hose with internal routing but the frameset itself can be used any other 1x/2x group- mechanical or electronic. Full build specs are listed below, and all cyclists know Ultegra is the best value in cycling, delivering consistent, precise shifts and exceptional overall reliability. Add in the Cervelo cockpit components and a DT Swiss E1850 23 Spline wheelset and you have a special modern road bike that delivers great rides time and time again.
- Modern road race-level bike with new geometry, increased tire clearance, quick but stable handling and tuned ride and stiffness for serious endurance events and training sessions
- Ultegra 11-spd R8020/R8000 mechanical shift/hydraulic disc brake groupset
- Aero integration of stem, headtube, steerer, but more easily adaptable for range of fit requirements
- Frameset stiffness rating: 222 Nm/mm BB / 105 Nm/deg
- Various grades of UD carbon used in Caledonia to save weight, add performance
- Lower modulus carbon in key areas complements the high modulus materials ensure resilience, compliance
- Proper blend of Squoval.Max and aero tube designs, matched to function/use of Caledonia 5
- Full carbon tapered Caledonia fork (w/headset), thru-axle dropout, Flat Mount disc
- Frame/fork accept 700x34mm tires, 700x31mm use w/ fenders on integrated frame/fork mounts
- Fork features standard tapered integration to downtube with larger, stouter crown design
- Round steerer works with standard headset, spacers, and stems for easy set-up and convenience
- Large downtube BBright shell transition deftly into oversized dropped chainstays
- Carbon lay-up, stay design, carbon seatpost, larger volume tires all contribute to compliance
- Internal, integrated wire/cable/hose options for 1x, 2x drivetrains (w/ removable FD mount)
- Cervelo Indexed Thru-Axles w/ Lever: 12/100mm fork, 12/142mm rear
- Ultegra R8020 Levers, R8000 FD/RD, R8000 crankset 52-36T, Cervelo JY-BB 24 bottom bracket, HG800 11-34 cassette, CN701 chain
- Mechanical shifting Dual Control levers w/ hydraulic braking, R8070 Flat Mount calipers, RT800 CL 160mm rotors
- DT Swiss E1850 23 Spline, 24h (F/R), 20mm Internal Width, Center-Lock disc, TLR
- Vittoria Zaffiro Pro V Folding G2.0 700x30c w/tubes
- Cervelo cockpit: Alloy handlebar, Alloy stem, Alloy 27.2 seatpost
- Cervelo Road Saddle
- Cervelo Accessories: Faceplate Front Comp/Acc Mount, Rear Acc Mount, Removable Fender Mounts
- Component specifics by frame size:
- 48cm Bar: 38c-c, Stem: 80mm, Crank: 165mm
- 51cm Bar: 40c-c, Stem: 90mm, Crank: 170mm
- 54cm/56cm Bar: 42c-c, Stem: 100mm, Crank: 172.5mm
- 58cm/61cm Bar: 44-c-c, Stem: 110mm, Crank: 175mm
- Sizes: 48, 51, 54, 56, 58, 61 cm (48, 51 have Zero offset seatpost)
- Color: Black/White, Maroon/Red
- Weight: 19.16 lbs (54cm)
|Top Tube Length||502mm||522mm||543mm||565mm||581mm||598mm|
|Head Tube Length||89.5mm||109.9mm||136mm||162.3mm||191.2mm||217.5mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||76.5mm||76.5mm||74mm||74mm||71.5mm||71.5mm|