LOOK X-Track MTB Pedals
The X-Track MTB Pedal system from LOOK represents a new generation of mountain bike pedals from the French company. The previous minimalist 4x4 models were the product of a collaboration with Crank Brothers. LOOK decided to move to a body type that offers a class leading 515mm2 surface area, effected mostly through a body width of 57mm. The added width offers greater power distribution with the shoe making greater contact with the pedal, which also can improve rider stability. Cornering and ground clearance are pretty standard. Our feeling is that with many shoe companies offering competition shoes that are more walkable for the multi-day epic crowd, more stability, pedal contact and transmission force is positive, and limits hot spots is shoes that have moderate overall sole stiffness.
In this base version, LOOK opts for a durable machined aluminum, open, body type riding on a chromoly steel axle via an inboard cartridge bearing and outboard needle and bushing system that has tested to a high durability level. The plated steel cleat engagement mechanism appears to be very similar to Shimano's mountain system, even down to the 3mm spring tension adjustment bolt. The Nm range for that spring load is 6-14Nm. The sculpted retention plates and open body design allow for crucial mud shedding.
The pair weighs in at 390 grams for the pedals alone. The steel X-Track cleats use the SPD 2- bolt standard, feature 6 of angular float, and weigh about 100 grams with all the hardware added in. Stack height with the cleats is 16.8mm. Available with either a black or red anodized body finish, the X-Track MTB Pedal makes for a serious player in the entry level mountain bike pedal market. We can see them being highly desirable for road endurance and adventure riders, as well as bike commuters.
- LOOK new generation mountain bike pedal system with large contact area, SPD-style cleat engagement system
- More shoe/pedal surface contact improves stability, power transfer, especially important with moderately stiff outsoles
- Larger contact zone appeals to adventure, endurance, and trail riders, as well as bike commuters and beginning clipless pedal users
- 515mm2 pedal to shoe contact surface from 57mm wide platform design
- Machined aluminum platform body, chromoly steel axle, dual bearing systems
- Plated chromoly steel engagement system w/ 6-14Nm spring tension adjustment
- Steel X-Track cleats feature 6° of angular float, 2-bolt mounting system
- Stack height with pedal and cleat: 16.8mm
- Colors: Gray, Red
- Weight: 440 grams (pedals, cleats, hardware)