Ritchey Break-Away Outback TandM Frameset
The only thing better than experiencing life in foreign lands by bicycle is sharing those adventures with someone riding along with you. Be it sipping coffee at a cafe found along the white gravel roads in Tuscany or devouring a bowl of warm stew somewhere just off the coastal roads in Ireland, the Outback TandM Break-Away tandem serves as the vehicle to get you there.
More than 40 years of frame-building heritage, innovation, exploration, and lots of riding in far- away countries come together to make the new Outback TandM Break-Away the ultimate way to share experiences in new locales with your travel partner. Built with triple-butted Ritchey Logic Tubing, the Outback TandM Break-Away delivers the same exquisite ride feel Ritchey is known for but doubles it up for a unique shared experience.
The “T and M” in the name of this tandem refers to Tom and his wife Martha’s frequent rides in all parts of the world - the inspiration behind Tom designing this bike. The Outback TandM Break-Away easily and quickly disassembles to fit into two included sturdy travel cases, which help you avoid airline extra baggage fees. Once you arrive at your destination, the bike assembles with ease - allowing you and your riding companion to quickly get out and go. Of course you need to build properly for that ease of use. Mechanical (cable-actuated) disc brakes are a must and while most current models use the post mount design, the frame and fork feature the IS51 set-up- which can easily be adapted to post mount.
The max rotor size is 203mm, which many will run in the front, with a 180mm in the rear. The proven Break-Away Hinge Clamps, rear brake cable connector and derailleur cable connectors are included. Both seattubes take a 27.2mm seatpost, the rear and front (eccentric) bottom brackets are threaded- 68mm BSC. The frameset was designed for standard tandem gearing with a stoker crank of 52/39/30T. Please keep in mind the fork requires a 100mm QR disc brake hub, while the frame at the rear has a 145mm tandem QR disc hub spacing (Velocity, Phil Wood, White Industries, others). Ritchey also offers a Zeta Comp Tandem Wheelset designed specifically for this frameset. All frameset specs and details are listed below.
The Outback TandM Break-Away is made in one-size as a road-oriented tandem frame that cruises endless tarmac routes yet has the advantage of being able to fit 43mm tires, making it adaptable enough to effortlessly handle gravel roads that disappear into the horizon. With fender mounts, the ability to fit five water bottles and a confident steel fork with multi-purpose mounts, the Outback TandM Break-Away has all of the features to keep you and your riding partner outfitted with everything you’ll need for your time out riding.
- Road-inspired, yet more capable steel tandem frameset with proven Break-Away travel system
- Easily and quickly disassembles to fit into two included sturdy travel cases
- Material: heat-treated, triple-butted Ritchey Logic steel tubing - TIG welded
- Fork: triple-butted Ritchey Logic steel tubing
- 1-1/8” straight steerer with integrated 45-degree crown race
- Rack and fender mounts
- IS51 brake mounts / 203 max rotor size
- Mechanical disc brakes recommended (if not breaking down, hydraulic could be used)
- Ultra-light forged and machined straight 1-1/8” headtube
- Drop outs: Fork 100mm QR, Frame 145mm QR (disc brake only QR hubs are made, the rear is a tandem only spacing, with Velocity, Phil Wood and others offering this hub specification
- Ritchey offers the Zeta Comp Disc Wheelset in this hub configuration (Excel# 065283)
- Forged rear dropout with integrated derailleur hanger
- 27.2mm seat tubes with integrated seat collar
- Bottom bracket/ and shell fastened eccentric BB system: 68mm - English threaded
- Designed for standard tandem gearing - stoker crank: 52/39/30T
- External cable routing
- Bottle mounts: 5
- Wheel and tire compatibility: 700 x 35mm
- Break-Away travel cases (2) and padding included
- WCS headset, Break-Away Hinge Clamps, rear brake cable connector, derailleur cable connectors included
- Size: 1 size
- Color: Merlot, Creme & Indigo
- Frame weight: 5.02kg (3 sections of frame assembled in one piece)
- Fork weight: 1700g (uncut steerer)
Geometry Info (all measurements in mm)
- Top tube front (effective) 590, Top tube front (actual) 576, Top tube rear (effective) 725, Top tube rear (actual) 707 Seat tube front (c-t) 570, Seat tube rear (c-t) 460
- Head tube angle 71.5 deg, Seat tube front angle 73.5 deg, Seat tube rear angle 73.5 deg
- Head tube length 175, Fork rake 47, Axle to crown 395, Trail 71
- Stack front 597, Reach front 411, Stack rear 597, Reach rear 1136,
- BB drop 70, Chainstay 435, Wheelbase 1791, Front-Center 641
- Standover height front 822, Standover height rear 756