Shimano GRX RD-RX400 Rear Derailleur
Shimano's GRX gravel components lean towards road in performance and capabilities, but durability and special features also come from the mountain bike side of the design table. Even the 10-speed GRX RD-RX400 Rear Derailleur has these capabilities and better yet most of the same features and build quality as the GRX 800.. The increased strength is built in to handle the rigors of constant abuse on rough gravel roads, or worse, yet Shimano has found a way to keep the component performance and weight within close range of Ultegra R8000 road models. The RD-RX400 adds more from MTB technology into the rear derailleur to optimize chain tension for a more efficient, stable, and reliable 2x drivetrain over rough roads and terrain. With an integrated chain stabilizer mechanism, the GRX 400 derailleur provides a quieter riding experience and shifting security with Shimano drivetrain precision on mixed terrain. For rides on smooth surfaces, the derailleur features an On/Off switch for the chain tensioner. The rear derailleur is compatible with road cassettes with a range of 10-speed cassettes from 11-32 through 11-36. Many aspects of this design were first released in mountain bike derailleurs for double chainring set-ups several years ago, and updated and improved for the GRX series.
The now familiar Shadow cage and parallelogram design sits much closer to the frame and under the cassette, protecting the cage from ground contact in case of accident or from bike to bike interaction when transporting multiple bikes. The pathway the derailleur action travels when shifted is also more linear, and smooth. A shorter throw now results in quicker, more precise shifts using the RD-RX400 with less effort, even over the wider spread of the 11-36 cassette. Adding that greater range opens more cyclists up to various forms of road cycling, such as gravel, endurance, adventure, etc. One important difference between the mountain and gravel application of the Shadow design is the very welcome presence of a compact barrel adjuster for manual cable tension adjustments. The B-link standard hanger mount can be uncoupled from the direct mount pivot if your frame accepts the direct mount system.
High level quality materials and finish means you get a robust derailleur body, links, and axles which are strong and light. Four flouric coated link bushings keep the movement smooth and the linkage torsionally stiff and aligned. On the RD-RX400 steel cage plates offer stiffness and strength and is really the main component different from the lighter aluminum used on higher end models, so you gain a few grams but gain max durability to go along with excellent cage stiffness. The cage design is torsionally and laterally stiff, resulting in reliable shifts and chain performance under load, no matter what ring and cog combination you find yourself in- all the way from 11-36. The upper and lower 11T pulley wheels of the cage have specific profiles, and ride on Stainless Steel bolts that ensure longevity and resist corrosion.
- GRX 400 RD for 2x 10-spd mechanical drivetrains and max 11-36 cassette usage
- Clutch design for optimized chain tension, reduced chain slap, missed gears
- Shadow RD+ design protects cage/assembly from damage, improves shifting plane
- Designed for traditional hanger systems, with direct mount option (remove B-link)
- Hollow B-Axle is stainless steel, with incredible stiffness
- Cable routing cleaner, more direct from frame to cable stop, stop has barrel adjuster
- Aluminum/GFRP body, pivots, axles; stiff, strong, light, w/ plated or anodized finishes
- 4 fluoric coated bushings keep action smooth, consistent & pivots torsionally aligned
- 11T pulley wheels
- Steel cage plates are durable, resilient, and stiff with painted finish
- Compatible with GRX 400 10-spd 2x
- Max 16T front chainring differential
- Works with 2x on 11 - 32, 34, 36 10-spd cassettes; w/ HG-X 10-spd chains
- Color: GRX 400 Black scheme
- Weight: 303 grams (actual)