Stages Power L XTR M9100/M9120 Meter
Cross-country racers and XC-Trail riders aren't new to the idea of using a Power Meter, but with Stages brings ease, price, accuracy and durability together in one simple package. With the simplest installation, setup and pairing, this Stages Power Meter is a left crank arm based system with a 15 gram power meter unit bonded to a new XTR aluminum left crank arm. This Gen 3 version XTR M9100/9120 Stages left crank arm features an ANT+ and Bluetooth 6x powerful transmitter for better head unit and sport watch connection capability and measures power to allow you to improve you capability on the trail or in a race.
With the simplest installation, setup and pairing, Stages delivers accurate and consistent power measurement to power seeking cyclists riding a Shimano XTR M9100/9120 crankset. Stages power meters are ANT+ and Bluetooth dual channel compatible to work with a host of head units and devices at the present and into the future. You can use your Stages Power Meter with almost any current smartphone via Bluetooth Smart with two-way interaction, and simultaneously be connected to your ANT+ compatible computer/GPS head unit for in-ride data and collection. The StagesPOWER App offers several key features and functions, is easy to use and is free for Stages Power Meter owners.
Installation of the XTR M9100/9120 Power Meter is just a matter of replacing your existing left side crankarm with the Stages equipped version. Simply remove your left crank arm, and install the Stages arm. No magnets, zipties, sensors or additional hardware required. Done. The head unit pairing and Zero calibration tasks are just as simple. The Stages unit is equipped with an accelerometer that tracks crank position during rotation to calculate cadence. It sends the cadence and power information to your connected devices. Truly simple. The Stages self-contained unit means that from installing the power meter to riding generally takes about 10 minutes. Install, pair the power meter to a compatible head unit, Zero calibrate, go ride. Easy. Stages even provides excellent instructions and support through their website. Accessible.
While there are power meters on the market with price ranges well into thousands of dollars, and with a bevy features and capabilities, generating, measuring and applying power data for use by most cyclists can be achieved with the left arm Stages unit. This helps to significantly reduce complexity and cost while providing power measurement with ±2% accuracy. The left arm measurement is taken and doubled for so-called total power. Stages's assumption of symmetry also gives major advantages over crank spider based torque measurements.
Why measure power at all? Power gives you a clear representation of effort and output that is consistent. Knowledge of power data allows you to exploit your strengths, improve your weaknesses, and plan crucial recovery. It is true that there are riders, most at the highest levels of the sport, who can truly benefit from accurate individual leg and spin cycle measurement. Cyclists overcoming injuries may also find this highly useful, though physical therapists can assess such imbalances as well. The key for Stages is: power differential between legs has no significant influence on ride data and its value as a training tool.
It is crucial for accurate training and analysis that the meter be consistent to itself, that the rider can quickly and easily set Zero calibration at the start of every ride, and that temperature is always accounted for. Stages constantly corrects for temperature via Active Temperature Compensation (ATC) which takes place automatically and continuously while you pedal, allowing you to simply ride and use utilize your data without worrying about manual adjustments. Accuracy is much better over many of it's competitors (whose units don't auto correct, or do so with far less frequency) whenever there is a significant change in temperature during your ride. Temperature can seriously affect the strain gage systems used to measure power, to the point where a long climb in the mountains or an epic event during which weather and temperatures can greatly fluctuate, uncorrected data is nearly worthless.
In this model, Stages bonds the actual power measurement pod onto a new XTR M9100/9120 left side crank arm. The location on the arm is crucial, as the arm and pod then tested and calibrated together to ensure that the strain gages and sensors are working optimally with the specific crank arm. The pod itself is made of an incredibly strong polycarbonate blend that is similar material to that used in bulletproof glass. Additionally, the Stages Power Meter is highly sealed against environmental conditions, and carries an IPX7 water resistance rating, which means it can be submerged in water up to 1 meter for a maximum of 30 minutes. Please keep in mind that this does not mean that you may use a pressure washer on the unit.
It was crucial to Stages to make their power meter efficient, as well as keep their firmware updated. The easy to change battery, a coin-style, readily available CR2032 model delivers 200+ hours of power to the unit. The StagesPOWER App also keeps track of the battery level, so you can be prepared. Firmware is updated via this smartphone app as well. Stages regularly advances their firmware and app to reflect new features and updates. The app is user friendly and will become your best friend as you manage your power meter, allowing for direct updates to Training Peaks, Strava, Garmin Training Center and other cloud-based training systems.
- Most accessible, easiest to install/use, single side direct force XTR crank armbased power meter, with improved transmission, lighter weight
- Power meter accuracy: ± 1.5%
- Features Gen3 power meter pod affixed to new XTR M9100/9120 left side arm
- Installation as simple as properly mounting and fixing left side crank arm
- Head unit pairing and daily Zero calibration processes quick and straightforward
- Power range (Watts): 0 to 2500
- Active Temperature Compensation delivers continual accuracy while riding
- ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart communication keeps unit future-proof
- Gen 3 features upgraded BLE and ANT+ radios offer a 6X improvement of data transmission strength
- Factory bonded pod contains all electronics, strain gages, power source
- Tool free, user replaceable CR2032 battery via externally accessible compartment
- Internal accelerometer determines cadence throughout pedal stroke
- Cadence range (rpm): 20-220 (unit is stable for technical riding/impacts)
- Firmware updates, data uploads accomplished wirelessly with Bluetooth Smart
- Water resistance rating: IPX7 (do not use direct stream hose/pressure washer)
- Device compatibility with simultaneous dual channel ANT+, Bluetooth Smart
- StagesPOWER App allows you to manage your unit, collect and transmit data
- Crank/Bottom Bracket compatibility: Shimano XTR M9100/9120 cranks with Hollowtech II 24mm BB system
- Q-Factor is determined by full crank/bearing set-up: 162mm with M9100 crank and 168mm with M9120 crank
- Always install crank arm to Shimano's specifications
- Weight: Adds 15 grams to base crank arm weight
- Finish: XTR M9100/9120 w/Stages logo
- Select: Crank arm length